Putney & Wimbledon Brass Band are celebrating because – can you believe it – we’ve been in existence for a year already. And what a year it has been!
We’ve gone from a few like-minded brass players, to a thriving local band who have performed in vast array of venues including local schools, Brighton Bandstand and the villages around Saddleworth for The Whit Friday Brass Band Contest,
We started literally with a bang as our first official gig was the Wimbledon Park Fireworks extravaganza; just a few of weeks after our first rehearsal and we played to a crowd of several thousand. Not a bad start!
Through the 2017 Christmas period, we put our Santa hats on and headed out playing for commuters, Christmas light switch-ons, Community Choruses, public house revelers and church congregations. On top of that we even managed to play on live TV – Good Morning Britain and Lorraine. Christmas cheer had never been so brass-centric.
Of course, a brass band is not just for Christmas. What has really amazed us is how the people of Putney and Wimbledon have really got behind us and
embraced brass music into their celebrations and events throughout the entire year. Not only have we more than doubled the number of musicians in the band to well over 30; we have played at cycle races, rowing races, marathon runs, birthday parties and community church events; we’ve played for schools, pubs, choirs, Guide Dogs, Members of Parliament, NCT Groups and Mayors; we have played on stages, streets, Commons, Moors, gardens, next to the river and by the sea.
If the people of Wandsworth and Merton are in any doubt, we hope that the quintessential sound of a brass band playing carols will soon remind them!
That’s right, Putney & Wimbledon Brass Band is delighted to announce its 2017 Christmas schedule.
Of the fifteen or so bookings we have in December; here are the ones that are open to the public, so feel free to come along and soak up the festive spirit!
- Fri 1st Dec 4pm – High View Primary School Winter Festival, SW11 2AA
- Fri 1st Dec 5:30pm – Raynes Park Christmas Festival, SW20 0JY
- Sat 2nd Dec 12pm – Wimbledon Chase Primary School Christmas Fair, SW19 3QB
- Sun 3rd Dec 11:30am – Positively Putney’s Three Wise Men, St Mary’s Church Square SW15 2JQ
- Sun 3rd Dec 3pm – Balham Christmas Lights Switch On, Bedford Hill Place SW12 9AU
- Tue 5th Dec 7:45pm – Performance with Wimbledon Community Chorus, St Mary’s Primary School, SW19 1QL
- Wed 6th Dec 8.30pm – Deck the Halls with Brass and Holly, The Green Man, Putney SW15 3NG
- Sat 9th Dec 4pm – Carol Singalong, Putney Methodist Church, SW15 6SN
- Sun 10th Dec 3:30pm – Carol Service at Community Church Putney, SW15 2LL
- Sat 16th Dec 5pm – Carols & Mulled Wine at St James’ Merton, SW20 9LB
- Sun 17th Dec 12pm – LoveWimbledon Christmas Market, The Piazza SW19 1QB
- Sun 17th Dec 7pm – Merry Quizmas, Prince of Wales, Putney SW15 2SP
Throughout the month, we’ll also be popping up at stations and town centres across the area, to cheer up weary commuters and stressed shoppers. Keep an eye on Twitter and Facebook to see where we’ll be and when!
A mere four weeks after our launch we’re overwhelmed by the response of the local community and the enthusiasm for a brass band in this part of South West London. We’re very excited to be supporting so many local events, and look forward to sharing a Christmas carol and a mulled wine with as many people as possible!
We are very excited to announce that our first official engagement as Putney & Wimbledon Brass Band will be Wimbledon Park Fireworks night on Saturday 4 November. The first bonfire will be lit at 6.30pm, so wrap up warm and come see us play.
You can read more about our launch – and debut performance – at emptychairs.co.uk
We look forward to seeing you all there!